Saturday, October 9, 2021

31 Days of Halloween: Day 9 - Transylvania Twist

 

When you want to watch a Lovecraftian comedy, but you hate Reanimator as much as I do.

Release Date: 1989

Starring: Steve Altman, Teri Copley, Robert Vaughn

Genre: Lovecraftian horror-comedy

Plot Summary: Dexter Ward (haha) is tasked with locating the Book of Ulthar, which can be used to raise The Evil One. He goes to meet Marissa, the daughter of the man who was last in possession of the book, only to find out her father has died. Together, they travel to Castle Orlock in search of the book. When Dexter and Marissa arrive in Transylvania, the locals have a very strong reaction to hearing her uncle, Byron Orlock, is back. Luckily they meet Victor Van Helsing, a vampire hunter. He accompanies them to Castle Orlock, where they meet three of Marissa's cousins (who just happen to be vampires), as well as her uncle Byron. While watching (yes, watching) her father's will, they're given a clue about the location of the Book of Ulthar. Byron is also after the book and it's a race against time to see who can get to it first.

Favorite Scene: The very start of the film, where a seemingly helpless woman, walking in the woods at night, is pursued by Leatherface, Jason and Freddy (whose knives have been replaced by various other objects, including a can opener).

Favorite Quote: "For 40 years, I've been responsible for the world's largest collection of books on witchcraft and the black arts."
"That's what I call job security."

Notable Trivia: Boris Karloff makes an "appearance" in the film.

Final Thoughts: You'll notice a theme throughout the month where I'm not sure if I enjoy movies because of nostalgia or because they're actually good. This movie is the perfect example of that. I love it, but I watched it when I was a kid, so I have good memories of it. Is it going to be for everyone? Maybe not. If you do watch Transylvania Twist, go into it with an open mind and know that it's all over the place. It's a fun movie though. That being said, there's a fair bit of gore (don't watch it while you're eating) and I wouldn't recommend letting your children watch it (even though I watched it as a kid, but my parents were pretty questionable).

No comments:

Post a Comment