Sunday, October 17, 2021

31 Days of Halloween: Day 17 - The Whisperer in Darkness

 

When you're craving a black and white horror film that was actually made in 2011.

Release Date: May 19, 2011

Starring: Matt Foyer, Andrew Leman, Stephen Blackehart

Genre: Lovecraftian horror

Plot Summary:  Albert Wilmarth travels to Vermont to investigate the appearance of strange creatures in the water.

Favorite Scene: The debate over folklore vs. reality.

Favorite Quote: "The whole reason to study folklore is to help us understand how and why we create myths." 

Notable Trivia: The Whisperer in Darkness was filmed using "Mythoscope" to give it the appearance of a 1930's horror film.

Final Thoughts: You know...I think I'm a bigger fan of the work the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society does than I am of Lovecraft's actual work (on account of him being extremely racist, kind of ruins most of his stories). I'm a lifetime member of the HPLHS because they release so many fun adaptations of Lovecraft's work, from radio plays to movies. The Whisperer in Darkness isn't my favorite story, but I love how the HPLHS made it as if it were filmed in the 30's. It was such an imaginative way to go about adapting it into a movie and because of that, I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment