Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Favorite Horror Games by Console - PS3: Dead Space 2

 

I spent more time playing Dead Space 2 than I did the other games in the trilogy. Was it as scary as playing the original game for the first time and hearing necromorphs crawling around in the vents? ...Yeah, actually. It was. Dead Space 2 begins with Isaac in a straitjacket, completely defenseless against the necromorphs that are after him and it ends with a Regenerator chasing him around a tiny room that he has to hack his way out of (this is after you have to stab him in the eye with a needle, which was another nightmare to play through). I played on hardcore difficulty because back then, I had the patience to die over and over, and it was a challenge. On the PS3, you're only given 3 saves to complete the game and there are so many areas where you can die to something stupid. And I did. I can't tell you how many times I had to sit through that 10 minute unskippable opening cutscene .(I don't know if it's actually 10 minutes, it felt like an hour and it probably was by the time I reached my first planned save.) Later on, after you get the Contact Beam and you can use its secondary fire, the game becomes a lot more manageable.

It's not just the main campaign that's fun to play though. This is one of the rare cases where I felt the multiplayer was enjoyable, too. It's a 4 vs. 4 match where one team plays as the humans and the other team plays as the necromorphs. Unfortunately, team kills are a thing (and I have a story about this that's unbelievable, but true), so don't be that person.

No comments:

Post a Comment