Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Favorite Horror Games by Console - PC: Shivers

 

I've talked about Shivers so many times now, but I'm going to do it again because this is one of my favorite games ever. Shivers is a point and click horror adventure game released for Windows 95 and I still have my copy from 1995. I never lost it or got rid of it because I loved this game so much. Even when I no longer had a PC that was capable of running it, I held onto it. Thankfully, GOG made it available through their website and it will now play on my computer.

In Shivers, you're dared to spend the night locked inside a supposedly haunted museum. Inside, you learn about the disappearance of the man who owned the museum and two teenagers who went missing when they snuck inside. You're tasked with capturing Ixupi, evil entities that will steal your life essence any time you get too close to them. It's not that simple though. You'll have to complete many puzzles, some that are infuriatingly difficult (that I could never have solved without the use of a guide).

Truth? The Ixupi are cartoonish and not scary at all. The thing that still makes me feel so on edge when I play Shivers is the music. There are some tracks that are downright terrifying and I find myself rushing through certain areas so I won't have to keep listening to the music. What I enjoy most about Shivers is the museum itself. It's filled with exhibits based on myths and legends. I always wished a museum like the one in this game existed in real life. Minus the murderous spirits, of course.

This wraps up the month of horror games! Next month I'm going to try to stay on theme with winter/Christmas, but I can't make any promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment