Friday, August 6, 2021

Top 10 Horror Games: #5 Corpse Party

 


I knew nothing about Corpse Party when it was initially released for the PSP, except that it was a horror game I could play when I traveled. I brought it with me to Florida for Thanksgiving and played while I avoided my family.

When a group of students perform a ritual to make sure they always remain friends, something goes terribly wrong and they end up separated from each other in a rundown school, littered with corpses and haunted by vengeful spirits.

The music in this game is incredible. It's one of my favorite game soundtracks of all time. It's extremely unsettling and adds to the tension you feel as you explore the school. Corpse Party sets you up to fail, with multiple bad endings you'll probably see before you find the right path towards making it out of the school alive.

My favorite part of this game is the misdirection in one of the later chapters. You're lead to believe you are in danger from one thing, when actually, it's harmless. The true danger is right around the corner. It's one of the moments that stands out to me the most in any video game I've ever played, right up there with "Would you kindly?" from Bioshock and "They looked like monsters to you?" from Silent Hill 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment