Monday, August 9, 2021

Top 10 Horror Games: #2 Shivers

 


Shivers is a point and click horror adventure game released for Windows 95. In the game, your so-called friends dare you to spend the night in a haunted museum where two kids disappeared years ago. Inside, you learn that spirits called Ixupi have been released, and you must capture them in their vessels if you want to survive the night. This isn't an easy task, as you also have to solve various puzzles while making your way through the museum. Some are easy, but others (the alchemy machine, Chinese checkers and the pinball machine) are extremely difficult and I've never been able to solve them without using a guide.

This is another game where the soundtrack really sets the tone. It's so unsettling that even though I'm now an adult and the enemies are cartoonish and not at all scary, I still jump into bed at night after playing it because I'm afraid of something grabbing me. The soundtrack is one of the creepiest things I've ever heard and I both love and hate it.

My favorite thing about Shivers is the lore. You'll learn about various myths and legends, unsolved mysteries and creatures that shouldn't exist. I've always wished that a museum like this would really be built one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment