Sunday, June 16, 2019

Horror News Roundup

Over the past week and a half, a lot of horror news has come out that I'm super excited about, so I thought I would post about it. And maybe every now and then, if something interesting is announced, I'll do more posts like this. Because these kinds of posts don't take a lot of time to put together, whereas sometimes it's hard to find time to set aside to watch a movie or read a book when I have a job and a boyfriend and Persona Q2 was just released and I haven't even started playing Persona Q yet. You know? Anyway!

Are you Afraid of the Dark is getting a reboot.


Okay, so this isn't "new" news, but we've been given more details on the upcoming reboot. The series will be back in October with 3 episodes (an hour each). The original cast isn't returning, sadly. Instead, Sam Ashe Arnold, Miya Cech, Tamara Smart, Jeremy Taylor and Lyliana Wray are playing the new members of the Midnight Society.

I still love Are You Afraid of the Dark? just as much as I did when I was a kid and I'm happy they're bringing it back in time for Halloween, even if it's only as a 3 episode mini series. I am slightly concerned that they'll try to tone down the scares a bit, but of course I'll watch it anyway.

Steven Spielberg is creating a new horror series.

First of all, let's get this out of the way. Yes, Steven Spielberg is writing a horror series for Quibi (an upcoming streaming service), after voicing his disapproval of streaming services. I love him, I love his films. He had an opinion, whether you agree with it or not, he's entitled to it. I really couldn't care less about his comments on that subject. I'll admit it seems hypocritical of him to work with a streaming service on a new project, but again, I don't care. It sounds interesting and I just want good horror content.

The show is titled Spielberg's After Dark and reports say it will run for 10-12 episodes. The intriguing thing about this series is that you can only watch it, you guessed it, after dark. (The first article I read said it's available after midnight, which had me up in arms because 1. I can't stay awake that late and 2. I kept thinking, "Well, how long after midnight do you have to watch it? An hour? Two hours?") Apparently, the Quibi app uses the clock on your phone to determine when the sun is going to set. At that point, you'll have access to the series, while the in-app clock counts down until the show is disabled for the rest of the day. (I couldn't find the specifics of this in any of the articles I read, but I'm going to assume it's disabled at sunrise.)

I've never heard of Quibi before, probably because it hasn't even been launched yet (the projected launch date is April 6th, 2020). Subscriptions are set at $4.99 a month (with ads) or $7.99 a month (ad free). Quibi is apparently short for "quick bites," with the goal of each episode on the platform running between 7 and 10 minutes long. It sounds as if it's going to be a mobile only app, but I'm not sure if it's limited to phones or if tablets are also considered "mobile."

This is a really innovative idea and if they're able to pull it off, I will 100% sign up for a Quibi subscription. At least long enough to watch Spielberg's series. They're also claiming Guillermo del Toro will be producing content for them, so Quibi definitely has my attention.

Announced at E3: A Blair Witch video game.

Apparently, we are getting a Blair Witch game. I don't know why, but we are. And I'm actually looking forward to it. This is a first person survival horror game, featuring a man, his dog and a camcorder. You play as a former police officer, searching for a missing boy. From the trailer, it looks absolutely nothing like the film (meaning things actually happen) and I'm okay with that.

I'll be honest, I saw The Blair Witch Project when I was a kid and I was bored to death by it. I think now that I'm older, and afraid of the woods, and I understand the dangers in the real world more than I did as a child, the movie would probably affect me more.

Blair Witch will be released on August 30th for PC and Xbox One (I'm slightly disappointed, as a PS4 owner). You can check out the trailer below.

No comments:

Post a Comment