Saturday, June 29, 2019

1. Resident Evil


REmake was my third Resident Evil game. I've mentioned this already, but I've never played Director's Cut (even though I do own a digital copy on the PS3), so I can't compare the two games.

Resident Evil is a classic survival horror game. Everyone's heard of it. Everyone knows what it's about. In 1998, near Raccoon City, a S.T.A.R.S. team (including Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield) is sent to investigate a series of murders. Is it still "murder" is the victims are eaten by zombies and zombie dogs (cerberus)? You can play as either Jill or Chris. Jill has more inventory space, acquires a lockpick and has a chance to find a grenade launcher, but her defense isn't great. Chris has less inventory space and has has to waste the few slots he has by collecting old keys, but he has a good amount of health.

REmake is the scariest game in the series, hands down. You have to avoid Lisa Trevor (you're unable to kill her until a specific point in the game, so don't waste your ammo) and as if she isn't bad enough, Capcom added in some fun new enemies for us to deal with, Crimson Heads. Crimson Heads occur when you "kill" a zombie, without burning the body afterward. They reanimate a second time and now they're able to run and slash at you with extremely deadly claws. They're awful. I had read about them before even playing the game and I remember being so scared that I called my cousin (who owned the game, but hadn't played it yet), walking him through the beginning of the game, until you encounter the first Crimson Head. I didn't tell him what was about to happen, I wanted to hear his genuine reaction so I could gauge just how terrible these things were. He barely reacted at all. I, on the other hand, am still afraid of them. If I don't have the supplies to immediately burn a body, I'm not killing any zombies.

This is a great game because it offers a lot of replayability through various unlockable game modes. One Dangerous Zombie turns on (automatically, whether you like it or not) after you play as both Jill and Chris on normal difficulty. In this mode, Forest (a member of S.T.A.R.S. Bravo team) returns as a zombie, with grenades attached to him, so you need to avoid him at all costs because shooting him will result in an explosion that will end your game. Real Survival Mode unlocks after beating the game on normal difficulty. Item boxes are no longer linked, so if you want a bit of an extra challenge, this is it. And if you want an extreme challenge, you can unlock Invisible Enemy Mode (by completing the game twice on any difficulty) where, you guessed it, all the enemies are invisible. Good luck with that.

I rate Resident Evil a 10/10 for being a genuinely terrifying experience, having so much additional content to play through, and being the "original" that started the entire series. (It's a remake, but it's a remake of the first game, so it counts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment