Thursday, June 20, 2019

10. Resident Evil 6


Disclaimer: Please be aware that this post (as well as the next couple posts) is not indicative of my attitude towards the rest of the series. I just really dislike Resident Evil 6 and I want to get this post over with so I don't have to talk about it anymore.

Capcom was "ambitious" with this one. "Ambitious how?" you ask. There are four separate campaigns to play through (with a co-op partner, wonderful, co-op in a "horror" game), three to start with and one that's unlocked after clearing the three starting campaigns. Here's the lineup and a brief description of what to expect:

Chris Redfield and Piers Nivans - Did you like Resident Evil 5? Do you like your Chris Redfield with oversized arms, wallowing in self-pity? Then this is the campaign for you, folks. All action, no horror. And here's a tip: If you want to make this campaign a tiny bit interesting, choose to play as Piers for the final boss fight.


Jake Muller and Sherry Birkin - Capcom would like you to believe this is a stealth based campaign, but guess what? It's going to go right back to the action game it always wanted to be.

Leon Kennedy and Helena Harper - This one...This hurt. I played the RE6 demo when it was released and I was so excited because it actually looked like we were getting a zombie horror game again. And we did, for about thirty minutes. Then it was right back to more of the same 3rd person shooter gameplay from the previous Resident Evil. Disappointed, but not surprised.

Ada Wong and some random soldier - This is what I like to call "Let's throw everything at you at once and make your life a living hell" mode.

I'm going to say this for Resident Evil 5 as well, but the story in RE6 is so convoluted at this point that not only do I not want to summarize it, I don't even think I could if asked to. The game isn't interesting, in any way. It's so bad I can't even think of anything to say about it other than the few things I've already said.

Unlockables include Agent Hunt (a multiplayer mode that's unlocked once you beat any campaign and allows you to play as either the infected or humans), Mercenaries (immediately available, your goal is to get the highest possible score in a limited amount of time) and, finally, Ada's campaign (available after clearing all three default campaigns).

I rate Resident Evil 6 a 2/10 because I can't even think of one redeeming thing about it except that it was the last awful game in a string of lackluster sequels.

No comments:

Post a Comment