Monday, September 27, 2021

Sleepy Hollow, New York

I spent the day in/around Sleepy Hollow yesterday and it was...Strange. The weather was perfect, clear blue skies, a nice breeze, fall chill in the air. The town is beautiful. The houses are incredible, I could wander around all day just to look at them. But the entire area is weird. There's nothing there. I mean, actually nothing. I was supposed to go to the Home of the Legend tour (by the way, getting there is an experience), but it was cancelled. So that meant I had eight hours to kill before the pumpkin blaze that night. That's a long time. 

The only thing there was to do was go to the cemetery and I spent a pretty significant amount of time in there. It's really nice, it reminded me of Central Park with all the winding paths and hills and beautiful scenery. There is a bridge in the cemetery. It's not the bridge, the bridge is now a street right outside the cemetery. But it's a really nice place to take pictures. You can pretend it's the bridge from the legend.

After the cemetery there was nothing to do for six hours. Nothing. I thought maybe I could go shopping, but the stores in Sleepy Hollow aren't really what I expected. I was hoping they would have at least one shop dedicated to The Legend of Sleepy Hollow where you can buy cool decor and whatnot, but there really wasn't anything except like, one souvenir shop that sold magnets and shot glasses. I was hoping it would be a little more like Salem where they really embrace the town's history, but it's not like that. At least not in September. Maybe there's more to do there in October.

So I ended up going all over the place. The areas surrounding Sleepy Hollow. And again...It's strange. I thought Long Island was weird because all we have are diners, movie theaters and bowling alleys. This place didn't have one movie theater or bowling alley that I saw (not that I would have gone, but still). They didn't even have a Target. I kept wondering what people do for fun there. At the diner, the waitress said there's nothing to do, so. I guess nothing? There was a church on almost every block in Sleepy Hollow, so maybe people just go to church? I don't know. Point is, I had six hours with nothing to do. So I ended up going to two different CVS locations in search of the Halloween decor I wanted, but couldn't find at my own CVS. And I found it! I'm so excited. I found two things at the first CVS and the other two at the second CVS. Not a total waste of time.

The best part of the day was the Blaze. That was amazing, I can't even imagine how long it must take them to put all of that together. It made the entire trip worth it, it was really cool.

I shared some videos of the cemetery and pumpkin blaze on Twitter here, here and here. The rest of this post will just be a million pictures, I don't really have much else to say about the trip there. It was a really nice day, I just wish there had been more to do.
























































No comments:

Post a Comment