Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Makeup Revolution Deadly Desire and Into the Night Palettes

 I check Ulta's app every day to see what the new releases are and I saw that Makeup Revolution released two new palettes for Halloween, the Deadly Desire palette (warm toned neutrals) and the Into the Night palette (cool toned grays and purples). I immediately bought them for the packaging. They're $15 each, so they're affordable compared to a lot of other palettes and they each come with 18 eyeshadows. That's potentially a good deal, if they perform well. I'm not the biggest fan of Makeup Revolution/I Heart Revolution/any of their 500 other brands. I've tried makeup from them before that was absolutely horrendous. But I did think the Ghost Stories palette from I Heart Revolution was decent, so I figured maybe these two would be, as well.

Right off the bat (no pun intended) as soon as I opened the Into the Night palette, it tipped over because the mirror is so heavy. It's not a big deal, but it's still a slight inconvenience, so it's worth noting. I think I'll start with the Deadly Desires palette.


This palette contains 9 mattes and 9 shimmers, although Sin and Greed are more like toppers, with Sin being the more glittery of the two. This palette definitely has more range than the Into the Night palette, there's more variation and depth between colors. You're going to get a pretty orange/red look with most of these shades, but Woods is there if you want something that's more of a true neutral and there's a good variety of shimmers to work with. 

Performance-wise, it's nice enough. I've only used it once so far (the day I went to Sleepy Hollow), but it blended easily and stayed on well, considering I had it on for 16 hours (I also used an eye primer from Milani when I used this palette and the Into the Night palette). The mattes were a little patchy, but they're workable. The only shade I had a problem with was Sin. Even as a topper, it just didn't do much. (This is why I don't bother with swatch photos. When I swatched it on my arm, it looked beautiful. On my eyes, it looked like nothing.) I have a Moondust eyeshadow from Urban Decay in Space Cowboy that I use almost every day and I was hoping Sin would look like that when applied, so I was disappointed. 

I love the packaging of the Deadly Desires palette and I wish the shades inside reflected it more. I would have expected more pink tones instead of the warm-orange tones they included. Of the two palettes in this post, if I were going to recommend one, this would be it. To take that a little further though, would I recommend it in general, based on anything other than the packaging? Eh. For $15, it's a decent palette. But there are better palettes out there for that price.


Next is the Into the Night palette. I love the packaging for this one, too. I'll give the brand that, they're good with their designs. This palette contains 6 mattes and 12 shimmers, but Vamp is really more of a glitter. I can tell you right now, if you have a deeper skintone than I do (I'm so pale, I'm practically translucent), this palette is not going to work for you. The colors barely even show up on me.

Ghost Stories on the left, Into the Night on the right.

I thought I would like this color story more because it leans more purple than the Ghost Stories palette, but all the shimmers kind of end up looking the same. It reminds me of the 90's when people would wear those hideous, frosted, pale pink lipglosses. Remember that? It's not cute.

As for how it performs...No. Just no. Unless you want this specifically for the packaging, save your money. This is one of the worst eyeshadow palettes I have ever owned and I can honestly say I'll never use it again. I tried to build the mattes up, but there's nothing to them. They barely show up. And on top of that, they're extremely chalky. And the shimmers are hard, they're not soft and creamy. Forget picking them up with a brush, they barely showed up when I used my finger to apply them. There's hardly any pigment. They all end up looking like that awful light pink/purple frost I mentioned.

Again, I want to stress...Unless you really want to buy these palettes for the packaging, save your money. Deadly Desires is okay, but there are better palettes out there at an affordable price point. And Into the Night is just terrible and it's not going to work for anyone anyway, so definitely don't bother with that one. The only good thing about it is the packaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment