Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Hipdot Ouija Palette and I Heart Revolution Ghost Stories Palette

 

Disclaimer: This isn't an actual review of the palettes with swatches and completed looks. I just wanted to post about them because this is a horror blog and if anyone is looking for horror themed makeup, this is it. I'll start with the Ouija palette.




The Ouija palette includes 15 shades: 6 mattes, 2 pressed glitters and 7 shimmers and retails for $26.

I was really excited to see two horror themed eyeshadow palettes because I feel like they're pretty rare. I've seen indie brands do some pretty cool releases, but they're usually sold out. I had heard of Hipdot before, but this is the first item I've ever purchased from them.

People were freaking out about the Ouija palette, like just looking at it the wrong way would summon a spirit. I'm pretty sure that's not how it works, there's no planchette, the palette is safe.

I'm not a huge fan of the colors in this palette. I'm boring, my favorite eyeshadow palette of all time is the Natasha Denona Gold Palette. Neutrals are my thing. I mostly ordered this because I was like, "Cool, horror themed makeup." The swatches on the website did look nice, but I don't really trust brand swatches and swatches really aren't a good indication of how a product will apply to the eyes anyway. Does it blend easily? How pigmented is it when applied with a brush? You're not going to find out from arm swatches.

The shade I was most attracted to in this palette is Are U There?, but...That green really doesn't work well with the other colors in the palette. I couldn't create a cohesive look with it, I had to also use the Natasha Denona Metropolis palette. And then I felt the green was too dark for work, so I used Brass from the Gold palette as a topper. I didn't think the green was even that unique at first, so I decided to swatch it next to some other green eyeshadows I own. (I know I said no swatches because swatches aren't indicative of how makeup actually applies, but this is to show the difference in color, so it matters.)

These shades are Are U There? from the Hipdot Ouija Palette, The Only from the Marc Jacobs Extravagance! Palette, Vivid Scattered Light Glitter Eyeshadow from Hourglass, I'm Outta Here from the Too Faced Shake Your Palm Palms Palette and Brass from the Natasha Denona Gold Palette.

The closest match is Vivid from Hourglass. It's actually almost an exact dupe (in tone) if I layer it. The main difference between them is that Vivid has a more reflective, sparkly finish. The others pull more gold than green, so it actually is a pretty unique shade (to my collection, at least).

I wanted to give the Ouija palette a fair shot, so I figured I had two options. I could create a look using Starlight, Planchette, Seance and Board or Paranormal, Medium and Goodbye. I went with the first option as it seemed more work-friendly. It was okay. The shimmers feel dry, but they apply fine. The mattes kind of blend away to nothing, so you have to work with them a bit more. It's not bad, it's not great, it's just an average palette. I don't think it's bad for the price. I've paid more for worse quality eyeshadows (ahem, Too Faced).



The Ghost Stories palette includes 18 shades: 8 mattes and 10 shimmers and retails for $15.

I've used a couple things from Makeup Revolution/I Heart Revolution before and I wasn't crazy about them. I ordered this palette from Ulta because I loved the packaging and the ghosts embedded into some of the eyeshadows. The color story isn't my favorite, it's very cool toned (even though the description on Ulta claimed it's neutral). Sometimes cool toned eyeshadow makes me look like a corpse and it's not cute. But I figured for $15, I could test it out and see what happens.

I had an eyeshadow palette from either Makeup Revolution or I Heart Revolution a few years ago, it was one of their chocolate palettes. The only reason I bought it was because I was going to California for E3 and I didn't want to bring something more expensive in case it broke or I forgot it there. I ended up really not liking it because the quality was awful and I don't actually know what happened to it. I didn't bring it to California and I didn't keep it, so I guess I must have given it away to someone. That was a really long way to say, "If you look at Ulta's website, you'll see that most of the I Heart Revolution palettes have low ratings." I wasn't expecting much from this palette.

I used Ritual, Paranormal, Other-Worldly, Appear and Apparition together. It was really easy to create a cohesive look using this palette. The mattes blended well and layered nicely. The shimmers were okay, I think maybe using a glitter glue would help them stand out more. I wore it for almost 12 hours and there was no fading or creasing (I used Milani's eye primer). It performed way better than I thought it would and for $15, I'd say it's definitely worth picking up if you like these kinds of shades.

Final thoughts...I think the Ghost Stories palette performs better than the Ouija palette, but I prefer the colors in the Ouija palette over the ones in the Ghost Stories palette. I honestly don't think I'll use either very much though. Again, cool tones aren't my favorite and the Ouija palette is almost always going to require me to use another palette with it and I'm too lazy to be bothered with that, I like using one palette. If those things don't bother you though, I do think they're both cute for Halloween and you probably won't be disappointed with either of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment