Thursday, August 8, 2019

1. Harold (Scary Stories 3 - More Tales to Chill Your Bones)


I don't even think I need to explain why Harold took the top spot, do I? Look at him. A scarecrow that comes to life and peels the skin off his owner? No thanks.

I know Harold is a scarecrow, not a doll. But it's all the same to me and I've had a fear of dolls ever since I was a kid. Here's a bit of backstory. My parents separated when I was five-years-old and my dad lived in an apartment above my grandmother's house. I was spending the night there, and my aunt and cousins were downstairs. My dad went up to bed and left me downstairs with his evil family, who were watching The Twilight Zone. It was The Living Doll episode. All the lights were out. And once it was over, I had to go up the stairs, in the dark, after watching that damn doll trip someone down a staircase, my family yelling after me, "Watch out for Talky Tina!"I hated that doll and I hated my family. I had nightmares about dolls for years. One Christmas, my mom, for some reason I will never understand, bought me two dolls. I was afraid of them. I was afraid not to sleep with them and I was afraid if I did sleep with them and one was next to me, the other one would feel slighted and kill me. I wish I could say I was making this up, but I'm not.

So yes. Harold is the only story that could possibly take the #1 spot here. It's not because I like the story, it's because this is the scariest story in all three books and it earned its spot at the top of my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment