Thursday, July 1, 2021

Crow Haven Corner

I found Crow Haven Corner while searching for shops located in Salem. I'd been thinking about taking a trip there in October, depending on whether or not the world is back to "normal," because it's been a long time since the last time I visited and I haven't had an actual vacation since 2018 and work is stressing me out. Salem is absolutely beautiful, from the weather to the scenery and no one knows how to celebrate Halloween like they do. So yes, Salem was on my mind and I wanted to support one of their local businesses. I believe the shop is owned by Lorelei (I could be wrong) and all I needed to see on the About page was, "Lorelei runs a Non-profit organization called Salem Saves Animals...She will always have her dogs with her in every reading," to know I wanted to purchase from her store.

I don't practice Wicca (or any religion). I'll probably touch more on this when I post about The Secret Circle, or in an upcoming Etsy post, but I was very interested in it after reading those books, from a standpoint of, "Hey, cool, herbs and crystals and scents and colors all have different properties and serve different purposes." I'm not religious. It was enough that I was forced to go to religion classes when I was younger and I had to miss all the good Saturday morning cartoons, that put me off it for life. (It's totally cool if other people are into whatever religion they practice though, as long as they don't use it as an excuse to discriminate against others.) That was a pretty long tangent to go on when all I wanted to say is that I don't practice it, so I didn't buy these items with the intent of actually using them. I did recently go through a breakup, so I don't actually need the candle I purchased for that, I just thought it would look nice on my Halloween shelves. (Are they still Halloween shelves if they've been decorated like this for two years? Aren't they just shelves at that point?) And even though I said I won't be using these items for anything, like I mentioned, I did just go through a breakup, so a little rose quartz can't hurt. And I bought the tarot deck for the artwork.

First up, I bought the Buh Bye candle ($21.99). I mostly bought this because of the skull on the paper wrapped around it. It matches nicely with the pile of skulls I normally keep on my horror shelves, which is where I had originally intended to keep this candle. Its actual purpose is to help you let go of bad habits and relationships. The website doesn't say how large this candle is, but it's a good size. It also doesn't state what the scent is. I'm terrible at describing scents, I have no idea what this one is, but it's definitely herbal. That really isn't my favorite scent family (I'm definitely an apple/cinnamon/pumpkin person), but that doesn't mean it's bad. If you're into herbal scents, you would probably enjoy it. The candle comes with an incantation to recite while you burn it, if you're looking to get rid of a source of negativity in your life.

The Halloween tarot deck compared to the Universal Waite deck.

I've had the Universal Waite tarot deck since I was 13, I think I bought it at Spencer's in the mall because I was really interested in it when I was younger. (And by "really interested," I mean I was interested enough to buy it, but not interested enough to develop the knowledge needed to actually understand it, like everything else I've ever taken an interest in.) As you can see, this Halloween tarot deck ($28.95, can be bought for $19.95 on Amazon) is quite a bit smaller than the Universal Waite deck is. I'd say it's the size of a standard deck of playing cards. It's beautiful though. I love the Halloween illustrations, and I appreciate that they mirror the illustrations of the other deck.

The final item I bought was a rose quartz wishing tree ($25). The website says it's "made to promote love, beauty, and self-esteem." It's stunning. I have it hanging over my computer and I can't stop staring at it. It's so pretty, so well-made, I love it. Crow Haven Corner's website actually says this is made by a local artist, so I did a quick google search and found her Etsy shop. (I ordered a necklace from her and when it arrives, I'll make another post including that.) The wishing tree I received is different than the one on the website, instead of pink metal wire, it's silver and I honestly think mine looks so much nicer. I do wish it came with something other than fishing line to hang it with, but that's just me being nitpicky.

My experience ordering from Crow Haven Corner was positive. The package arrived quickly and everything was nicely wrapped in purple tissue paper. One thing to be aware of is that I didn't receive an order confirmation, so you probably won't hear anything until your order ships. The only real complaint I have is that the descriptions on the website are lacking. The candle doesn't say how large it actually is or give a scent description. The wishing tree has two different size variants, but neither say how big they are either. Other than that, I'm very happy with everything and I would purchase from them again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment