Wednesday, May 15, 2019

The H.P. Lovecraft Collection: Slip-Cased Edition

Several years ago, I purchased The Complete Fiction of H.P. Lovecraft. (I actually bought it twice, not realizing the second copy was the exact same book with a different cover.) It's a really beautiful book, with a cloth cover, ribbon bookmark and a slipcover. Basically, the perfect collector's item. I tried to read the stories in that book, but as you can imagine, it's huge, with over 1,000 pages and that made things difficult. That's the only complaint I have about the collection.

So I was really excited when I was browsing on Amazon a few weeks ago and I saw a "new" set that was released about a year and a half ago (how did I miss that?), The H.P. Lovecraft Collection: Slip-cased Edition. According to one of the reviews, this set includes all of Lovecraft's stories, with the exception of one collaboration he did. And the best thing about it is that it's broken down into 6 separate volumes, which will make it so much easier to read than the larger book. I ordered it immediately.

Size comparison between The Complete Fiction of H.P. Lovecraft and the Slip-cased Edition.


Someone said these books use the Spongebob font and I can't unsee it.

If I had to buy one set...I wouldn't. I would buy both, honestly. That's the collector in me. Both editions are beautiful and deserve a spot on my already crammed shelves. I can't say one is better than the other.

Also worth nothing is that The New Annotated H.P. Lovecraft (another must-have) is receiving a followup in September - The New Annotated H.P. Lovecraft: Beyond Arkham. I've already pre-ordered my copy and I'll be counting down the days until it arrives on my doorstep.

No comments:

Post a Comment