Thursday, May 23, 2019

Beetlejuice The Musical - A Show About Death


Yesterday, I went to see Beetlejuice on Broadway. Full Disclosure: I didn't like the movie and I didn't expect to like the musical because of that. I only bought tickets for it because I was going to be in the city anyway (to see A Musical About Star Wars with my boyfriend) and I've been dying to see Kerry Butler in something, anything, for years. That being said...

I. LOVED. IT. This was the most fun I've ever had at a Broadway musical (and I've been to Legally Blonde three times, as well as Rock of Ages) and you could tell the rest of the audience felt the same way. I think that added a lot to it, too. It was the cast's perfect comedic timing and the audience's laughter that made the entire experience so enjoyable. Beetlejuice is absurd and ridiculous and out of control, and I mean that in the best possible way. It 110% deserves all 8 of its Tony Award nominations, as well as a few others it didn't receive (like Sophia Anne Caruso for Best Leading Actress in a Musical, it's a crime that she didn't receive a nomination for her performance). This is in my top 3 Broadway shows of all time, and that's a big claim to make because I've seen and enjoyed a lot of them. I would go back to see Beetlejuice over and over again.


I obviously went to see Kerry Butler and she was beautiful and so talented and so committed to her role. But the entire cast was wonderful. Alex Brightman made Beetlejuice likable and he was incredibly funny. John said he's very "genie-esque" (Aladdin - Broadway), and I fully agree, he's like a dark, twisted version of him. He's adorable, too! I'm really glad they didn't make him repulsive like Beetlejuice was in the film. (I know, I know, he's supposed to be repulsive, but I didn't like the movie, remember?) And Sophia Anne Caruso? When she opened her mouth and started singing, I couldn't believe it. As soon as her first song was over, I looked at John and said, "She's really good." That's such an understatement, she's so far beyond good, I don't even have a word for it. They were all so perfect, the entire cast is amazingly talented.

And they're not the only ones. The crew, the orchestra, the lighting and set designers, the costume designers, the writers...They put together such an awesome, fun, weird musical. The sets and lighting are spectacular. And the puppets! I loved the sand worm, I think that was one of my favorite things about the entire production, as well as the skeleton costumes. I don't have one bad thing to say about this show, and that's so rare, I almost never give rave reviews about anything, I can always find something I don't like, or something that could be improved. But Beetlejuice is perfect exactly as it is.


I recommend this show for anyone, except small children (kids under the age of 4 can't get in anyway) because there are a lot of sexual jokes and some cursing and you may not want them to hear that. But it's funny and weird and even cute and surprisingly heartwarming. I can't wait for the cast album to be released on June 28th, as well as the souvenir book (I collect them from each show I go to, they said it should be out within a couple months). I hope Beetlejuice will have a long, successful run at the Winter Garden Theatre and I hope I'm able to see it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment