Sunday, May 26, 2019

The Folio Society

About a month ago, I did a google search for Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. I was really hoping to find a nice edition of it because I only have a cheap paperback version and I just...Wanted something better. I love Ray Bradbury because, as I've said 57 million times already, he really understood fall and when I read his stories, I can feel the season. I feel the chill in the air, I hear the crunching leaves. Something Wicked This Way Comes reminds me of going to Oktoberfest as a child. It transports me back to that time of fall festivals and all the fond memories I have of them. So yes. I wanted a nicer edition of it.

Luckily for me, the search turned up an image of a beautifully illustrated cover, an edition from The Folio Society, a company I had never heard of before. My brain kept telling me that something that well designed couldn't possibly be easy on my wallet. And it wasn't. I didn't care though, this was what I was looking for. 





Browsing through Folio Society's website, I found about 10 different novels I would have loved to purchase, but they are pretty expensive, so I'll have to add them into my collection little by little. Their books are worth the price though. Each one comes with a slipcase, a cloth cover, and the binding is sewn in 16 page sections. They include several stunning illustrations exclusive to FS's collection. Most books are in the $50-$80 range, but there are some that cost significantly more. The company is based in the UK and when I received my orders (in New York), they arrived in a small box, inside a huge white bag (about the size of a large garbage bag). I've read from several people in the US that they had issues with their orders arriving damaged with that packaging, but I had no problems myself and both orders arrived within around 2 weeks.

In addition to Something Wicked This Way Comes, I bought a few other books. It was hard to narrow down which ones I wanted, but in the end, I decided to go with the ones I didn't already own copies of. I purchased Rebecca and Jane Eyre, both of which I had been meaning to read at some point. I also bought a copy of The Hobbit for my boyfriend.






I love the artistry that goes into The Folio Society's collection and even though they're pricey, I do recommend their books. These books make beautiful gifts, so if there's a book lover in your life, I definitely suggest browsing their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment