Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Us (2019)


I went to see Us over the weekend because I loved Get Out and this movie looked really creepy. I wish I didn't have to write about it from memory because I can't be as thorough as I could if I had a DVD that I could pause and take notes while watching it (though I do have the Blu-ray pre-ordered, so maybe I'll come back to this in June).

If you've seen the trailer, you know that Us is about a family being terrorized by a group of people who look identical to them. I don't want to get into the specifics of it because I think this is one of those movies that benefits from you going into it and not really knowing much. It's more unsettling that way.


There was a full theater for the showing I went to and it was interesting to see and hear the audience's reaction throughout the film. People were laughing. A lot. And the movie was humorous, I laughed, too. But every time something made me laugh, I would think to myself, "Yeah, this is funny now, but if I saw people acting (and more specifically, moving) this way in real life, I would cry." I don't think Us is necessarily scary, but it is genuinely creepy and intense. The actors (especially Lupita Nyong'o) were all incredible in their dual roles. There were many times throughout the movie that I turned to my boyfriend and mouthed, "What the ____?" because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. And I glanced over at him a few times and the expressions on his face were pretty priceless.

The score for this film is amazing. It really adds to the overall tension in many of the scenes. I'm just going to say it, Us has the best horror movie soundtrack since Goblin's score for the original Suspiria. I bought it on the train ride home.

The film's ending was somewhat predictable. It had crossed my mind early on that it may potentially happen (I'm trying to be super vague here, sorry if it comes across as nonsensical), but I kept second guessing it. Thinking about it now, I don't know how anyone could miss it, it's right in front of your face for most of the movie.

I feel like this is one of those films that's probably really divisive and people will either love it or hate it. I loved it, it's now three days later and I still can't stop thinking about it. I ran to Reddit and looked at all the theories people have come up with because I wanted more. But, for example, I know this is a movie my mom would absolutely hate because not everything is laid out for you. (I'm not calling her stupid, for the record. She just prefers clear cut endings.) And my dad...He'll definitely either love it or hate it, I'm just not sure which it will be, he surprises me sometimes. He likes some of the worst B-horror films ever made, yet he hated In Fear. I'll never understand him.

I highly recommend Us if you enjoy horror films that leave you thinking about them long after they've ended. I'm still unsettled by it and I have no intention of looking out my windows at night any time soon. The rational part of me knows there's probably nothing out there, the other part of me doesn't want to take the chance of being proven wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment